Avocado Spinach Egg on Toast
This vegetarian recipe for avocado spinach egg on toast makes a great breakfast, lunch or snack, and provides healthy fats, fiber and protein.The first time you make this, it might take a little longer until you get used to it. I generally make this every morning and I get to work feeling healthy, energized, and ready to work until lunch. I’ve also made this ahead of time and added another slice of toast (or bread) and taken it as a sandwich for lunch.
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 slice bread
- Break egg into microwave cooker or bowl and whisk.
- Cook the egg: If using microwave cooker, put spinach on top of egg, cover and cook for approximately 1 minute, 10 seconds. If not using a microwave cooker, steam spinach for 7 minutes. Cook egg using a small skillet. Place the egg mold in the skillet, pour in the whisked egg and cook over low, turning once.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Toast the bread. When toasted, mash half the avocado and spread on the toast.
- Top the avocado with the egg and spinach.
I have a stoneware microwave egg cooker that makes this recipe really easy. If you don’t have one, you can use a round silicon mold in a skillet. If you prefer, you can cook the egg over easy, medium or hard, and still top with spinach. You can steam a quantity of spinach ahead of time if needed, and use about 1/4 C of the cooked spinach for each serving. You can also adjust the amount of avocado – a lot of it will depend on the size of the avocado (this will also impact the calorie count). I find it easiest to cut the avocado in half, and then use a fork to mash up the avocado while still in the skin. And then scoop out on top of the toast. Store the other half of the avocado in an airtight container in the fridge and use within a day or two. You might experience some slight discoloration from oxidation, but the avocado is still good.